Tuesday, November 26, 2013

12 Years a Slave; This is Not a Review


After drying my two-hour ravaged eyes, my first thought out of the theatre was, wow, I can't wait to review this movie, but now, sitting at my computer, I don't think I can.

I'm thinking where to start. I sit, almost too hot in my room, drinking to cool myself, wrapping myself in a blanket once that gets too chilly. I'm eating, not knowing if it's because I'm sincerely hungry, or merely bored. The ticket from a seven dollar movie that I saw on cheap night sits crumpled on my desk. A movie that featured people who never saw seven dollars in their entire lives.

I was going to review the movie, but I don't think I can. I don't think I can do justice to the harsh truths told. To the emotional blows delivered by both the story and the humans involved. I cannot spark-note an entirely new perspective.

All I can really say, is that we are lucky. We are lucky to live in this age, with these rights, with these freedoms. We are lucky to have a choice in the careers we may or may not pursue, we are lucky to be able to make love with whom we want and get mad when that is judged. We are lucky to even have the option to speak back, speak out, to speak at all.

We are so, so very lucky.

And we owe it to people like Solomon Northup to learn his story, tell his story, and do justice to his story. And that's just what '12 Years a Slave' did.

Please, go see it. You are lucky to have the chance.

-LF

No comments:

Post a Comment