Monday, April 25, 2011

Hanna

Ciao fellow Internet peoples!

What a beautiful rainy day it is in Vancouver today, and there’s nothing like running on four hours of sleep. Damn insomnia’s got me again. BUT I’m here, and ready for the next review. Again, if you haven’t seen the movie, and would like every bit of it to be a surprise, please do not read! I’m not trying to ruin your movie going experience, so don’t come crying to me after you read it and are all bummed out I revealed a secret. I’m just warning you meow.

Today we will review:

Hanna
Ok, first off, grats to a local VFS (vancouver film school) grad for writing his first feature and having it made into a brilliant film.

I believe the best way to see a movie, especially a surprise gem like this one is as my best friend said it, “I went in with no expectations, and man, was I blown away.”

Hanna was really very good. It had a simple, but strong storyline, very well written and acted characters, and the cinematography was fantastic.

Favourite Quote: When the little british teen that hanna befriends, first sees Hanna. (forgive me if the words aren’t exact) “She can’t speak english, she’s a refugee from Sri Lanka.”

Favourite Character: So many brilliant characters in this movie, but the one that really stole it for me was Isaacs, played by Tom Hollander. This is the bad guy that Marissa (cate blanchett) hires to hunt down Hanna. All his little mannerisms, the way he enjoys the chase, and even how he orders his men around is really eery, and I loved every second of it. Not to mention Tom Hollander did a bang up job.



Least Favourite Character: The little boy. It’s hard for me to hate anyone in this movie, so I’m just going to pick on the little one. I hate snitches, and I hate children, so it’s only logical I like him the least.

Favourite Scene: When they’ve captured Hanna’s friend’s family, and seperated each of them into the different containment bins at the shipping yard. The panning shot of each different family member in each different storage locker, was amazing. And may absolute favourite part in the movie, was in this scene, when Isaacs is whistling his tune, and flipping a metal bar in his hand, each time he catches the bar, it clangs against his rings, making a quiet, but fearful beat.

Least Favourite Scene: the scene where Hanna escapes the facility into the desert, and she’s running down the hallway. Men are chasing after her, and the camera starts spinning, and spinning, and spinning. Now the music was so well done throughout the entire movie, (go chemical brothers!) and this scene is no exception, but I get dizzy extremely quickly, and I really had to sit with my eyes closed for a few seconds until the spinning passed. That is really my only complaint about the movie, too much spinning shit!


Favourite Actor in the Role: Of course, Saorise Ronan as Hanna. I liked her in The Lovely Bones, and I loved her in this. I really don’t see how she could have done this role any better, it was just top notch. She seems to be really making a name for herself in powerful films, and for having only just turned seventeen, I think she’s got a great future ahead of her. It makes me friggen ecstatic so see young talent do so well, because it gives me hope that not all the good actors will have died out before I can make a movie.



Also, props to Eric Bana who did much MUCH better in this movie, compared to Troy which I wasn’t really the biggest fan of him.

Least favourite actor in a role: I can’t do it, I don’t have one. I liked everybody. Even the skinhead on the motorbike was really well cast. Although for some reason when he was introduced into the film, I thought he was going to be another child experiment like Hanna was, and was going to help her out. Woulda been kinda cool. Not that I would really change anything, this is just what my mind jumped ahead to when it saw him.

Favourite actor in general: Cate Blanchett. I just like her! She does astonishing in any role she plays, from Galadriel in LOTR to Jane in The Life Aquatic.



Least favourite actor in general: I don’t have one... The little boy! I don’t know, I just hate kids.

All in all, brilliant movie, I loved it. It has all the normal aspects of a chase-thriller that I love, with the nitty gritty/coming of age/modern society sucks feel of a good indie flick. Strong character dynamic, beautiful cinematography and editing, and an original score that's to die for. Two thumbs up.

DISCLAIMER: I am aware that I have absolutely no right to judge other people, but fuck it, these are my opinions. I'm not saying they're law, and I'm not saying you have to agree with them, and if you don't, feel free to make me look like an idiot and write why! OR if you do agree, lemme know! Write your own favorite characters, scenes or quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment