Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Five Books That You Should Read

Happy June!

It's a new month, and summer finally looks like it's gonna show up. I just got back from a short trip to Kelowna. No more braces, fuck yeah!

I also finished the very first draft of my screenplay, and just found out that I got accepted to film school! I can't stop smiling, I look like I'm on Prozac 24/7.

I've read a lot of books, and have an extremely soft spot for bizarro fiction. Though it's really hard to find. Here's a few books I read recently that really stand out for me, and definitely stay on my "share the love shelf".

Invisible Monsters
-Chuck Palahniuk

Chuck P's books are amazing. Every single one has blown me away and completely changed my thought process. If I ever need a wake up call, I'll read a Chuck P book. The way he writes is harsh, creative and above all, honest. He creates characters that feel what all of us feel, but they actually accept who they are. Or at least admit their flaws. Unlike other novels, his books don't leave you with a feel good sensation after completing them. It's like you've had a peek into the heart of the world, into the mind of other humans. Invisible Monsters is my favourite because it's so simple in it's complications.

The characters, story, setting, writing, all of it snatches you up right away, and at the end of the novel you feel as though you've learned more about yourself than the story you just read.

A Clockwork Orange
-Anthony Burgess

If you didn't know, the phenomenal and controversial film was based on this novel. Sipping on milkplus, Alex and his friends dip into a bit of the ultraviolence, rape, and Beethoven. Though difficult to adjust to his writing style, once you do Burgess takes you to a world of gang violence, crazy slang, and a debate of free will. If a book doesn't make you think, it's nothing special, and so many books these days are just "Chick Flicks" in word form. If you challenge yourself to read this, you will not regret it, and it can only make you appreciate the film that much more.

Angeldust Apocalypse
-Jeremy Robert Johnson

This is a great intro for anyone looking to check out bizarro fiction. A collection of short but memorable stories is all I needed to get me hooked on the genre. These stories are often in post-apocalyptic worlds, or future sci-fi nations. If you like fantastical places and strange people, you'll most likely enjoy this book. If you've seen some of what people are calling "mindfuck movies" like Naked Lunch, you should check out BF.


Brother to Dragons, Companion to Owls
-Jane Lindskold

A beautiful autistic girl who can only speak in quotes is kicked out of the asylum for not being crazy enough to survive the budget cutbacks. When the people that ditched her suddenly decide to hunt her down, her newfound street family (a bunch of renegades that live by the 'law of the wolf') have to help her to survive.

This story takes place in the near future, and the author rights with elegance and careful nuances. Not extremely harsh or vulgar like Chuck P's books, but also not as memorable. While this book wasn't life changing, it was a fun read with an original concept behind it.

Rebel Without A Crew
-Robert Rodriguez

This is not a novel but a sort of biography. Robert Rodriguez documents his life as he saves up for and makes his first film, and how he became successful. Whether or not you're planning on going into film, this book is inspirational, and funny too. Not to mention it's just an interesting story.

Now go read, you nerds.

No comments:

Post a Comment