Sunday, June 19, 2011

X-Men First Class Movie Review

Fist off, I am extremely excited for a future indie flick, Bellflower. The Director built custom cameras to get the look he wanted, plus some other stuff. Like flamethrowers, whateva, no biggie. He only built his first one when he was 12. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1242599/

As always, spoiler alert.

I like seeing movies in the theater, because by the time the show starts I've forgotten what I'm there to see. When the movie finally began, I had somehow come to the conclusion we were there to see Green Lantern.

But I was just being crazy.

X-Men First Class
This movie was highly anticipated by some to be the best prequel ever. Not by me, because prequels are generally letdowns. But, I was slightly excited for this movie, as I love anything to do with superpowers or I suppose in this case, mutations. Plus, there's a wee little cameo by Wolverine which is always welcome.

Though the movie had some holes, the effects were of course brilliant, the 60's costumes were also well done, and James McAvoy (Charles Xavier) and Michael Fassbender (Magneto) performed in their roles very well, so the movie was saved- for the most part. One thing I'm very disappointing in the film world now, is that cgi is good, too good. It makes actual movie makeup look like a low budget attempt at creating a character. Take Beast for example. The cgi feet they give him when he is first Big Foot look fantastic. The feet unfurl, flex, and grab onto things. But when he changes fully into Beast and they use actual makeup on him, he looks terrible. His lips can't even touch each other, yet they allow him to continue to enunciate words perfectly? I don't think so. I think the world where movie makeup artists only straighten hair, and cgi experts create the real costumes is not so far off.

Favourite Quote: A lot of the lines in this movie were cheesy. I think people nowadays are trying too hard to make their films epic. They just need to keep it simple, and let the characters write themselves.

Sean Cassidy: I trust you. 
Professor Charles Xavier: I'm touched. 
Sean Cassidy: [pointing at Hank] I don't trust him. 
Professor Charles Xavier: [to Hank] Say nothing.

One of the few funny moments in the movie.

Favourite Character: Darwin. I was excited to see this guy adapt to all the different powers he would face, but nope. He dies, almost right away. After his power fails him, and he can't adapt to a bomb inside his throat. Why he couldn't adapt to this, I don't understand.


Least Favourite Character: Beast. And not because of the makeup. He was a real pushover in this movie, and I hate people who back down from who they are. "I just wanna be normal- waaah wahhh- I'm a pussy who can't see that I'm awesome, and that normal is the lamest thing ever". Yech, just accept yourself for who you are and rock it.


Favourite Scene: When Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) pulls the pin out of the grenade,  absorbs the energy of the blast, and uses it to disintegrate the man on his yacht. Impeccable effects.

Least Favourite Scene: When Charles Xavier forces Magneto to remember his mother, and the screen blurs, and flowers bloom, and Magneto's eyes swim with tears of memories thought lost... Yeah... It's that painful. And the two characters have a huge homosexual vibe running between them, which would be totally cool if they were supposed to be gay. Alas, they aren't. I think it's supposed to be a connection between two men who have found in each other what they hadn't in anyone else, but really, it just comes across as a hidden gay romance.
Aaaand on my searches, I found this gem.
Favourite Character in a Role: James McAvoy. Yes I said he played up the gay tones too much, but other than that, he did excellent in his role. I really believed that that's what Professor X might have been like as a younger man. Plus I thought his english accent was fantastic. Until I realized it's not an accent at all, he's really from London. 


Least Favourite Character in a Role: Kevin Bacon. Yes, I hate him, but I also think he did absolutely terrible in this movie. Why they cast him, I have no clue. His german was crap, but his russian almost made me cry. He speaks the foreign languages in a jolted, forced way, as if he had just learned them or something. And why would he speak english without an accent? How does that make any sense. He said he got his powers from the nuclear radiation, which is why he wanted to force another world war. Then he wouldn't have been affected until after he was born as a german into the german command. Hence, having a german accent.


Favourite Actor in General: I know this isn't going to make sense to anyone, but Caleb Landry Jones, the kid who plays Banshee. No, he hasn't really been in anything else major. He was in the Last Exorcism, and his role was creepy and small, but there's just something about the awkward/rude way he acts that I like. 


Least Favourite Actor in General: KEVIN BACON. I hate him so much. Just so, so much.

Good effects, ok powers, with a little bit of back story makes for some mediocre movie watching. Not going to be a classic, or one I'm going to come back to anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment